1.28.2009

Wedding Dress Wednesday - #2

My poor dog. He's clearly over this whole sewing thing, particularly since I've invaded "his" space in the guest/office/project room.

(Hudgins is spent)

Lucky for him, my cutting table now looks like this, which is very promising.



Is it possible I'm moving out of the muslin stage and into actual construction? Yes, but it took a lot to get here and I shouldn't have been surprised.

I've seen this movie before, and my UVa studio friends know it well, too. It goes like this:

  1. get a design idea just based on your gut,
  2. make a study model of the idea,
  3. like it but it's not perfect so start tweaking things,
  4. make a zillion more mock-ups,
  5. start losing the original idea - but you're so overcommited to it at this point you continue going down the new/wrong path (hello business school lessons I wish I paid more attention to: "escalation of commitment" and "sunk costs"),
  6. then decide "screw it" and go back to the proverbial drawing board, to your original idea,
  7. tweak it one last time,
  8. and voila!

The study model is good enough that you're ready to make the real thing. Exhibit A, from third year studio:



And now Exhibit B, from the last three months of life here:


I'm cutting fabric on Friday and for a close up of what I'm cutting, here it is:



The fabric used to make the skirt was some nasty, completely paper-like stuff I had laying around so I don't expect the final version to be quite as crunchy looking. And I may bring down the scoop in the back an inch or so more, but that's it kids. Let the real thing begin.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to look a million dollars in that dress and certainly well worth all the prep work. Thanks for sharing. When I got married in Jan 1981 I so wanted to make my own dress but my mother, a skilled dressmaker, wouldn't let me. She didn't think I could do it, and seeing all your hard work and skills she was probably right. I did however make a christening gown that both my girls wore at their christenings so that made up for it (a bit). Can't wait to hear and see your further progress

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails