3.05.2009

Wedding Dress Wednesday, umm Thursday

Just days ago it was 20 degrees outside and I had a hard time grasping the fact that the wedding is now less than five months away. All thoughts I have of the wedding typically focus on how to not sweat to death in the August sun yet hot sun seemed all but a distant memory...until today's glorious 60 degree weather. Spring, you're out there somewhere. For now, though, you're just the subject of a delicious beer enjoyed tonight.

Anyway, wedding dress. Where were we? Last we "chatted" I had basted all the underline to the taffeta. I've now stitched the lining together. Given that only the skirt is lined this wasn't really a major stepping stone. But so far it fits so that's a win!

I also constructed the foundation with some light boning and some sew-in bra cups. I don't know if this get-up will actually make it into the finished dress. The muslin I made was pretty complete and it didn't seem to need this level of additional support. My only concern is keeping the deep V back panels in place and some boning could do that if needed. So we'll see. But for now, some details:


I did not include a waist stay since the foundation isn't the only thing holding up the dress. The halter straps will do most of that work, thankfully. Here's a shot of the inside of the foundation, folded so you can see the boning on the innermost layer and the bra cups sewn to the other.

If it makes it to the party, the foundation will be attached only at the underarm and back seams. Then the fashion fabric is self-faced and will be layered on top across the bust line. Like I said, we'll see. But now for the fun stuff: a monogram. Once the computer and sewing machine were getting along I did some test runs to get the "something blue" into the dress. Round 1:


It's hard to tell from the picture, but it was too big. It was also trying too hard, if you know what I mean. So I shrunk (and toned) it down to get this:

And it happily resides on the inside of the foundation to the right of the back center seam.

Let's be honest, this little darling is 90% of the reason I'd keep the foundation in the dress. And if it doesn't make it, you can be sure there's a monogrammed tote bag in my future.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea. You realize this will also stand you as your something old as your new initials are CIC. Twice the payout for half the price.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails