2.25.2010

Guest Blogger Pattern Review: Butterick 5332

And now for Ann's second contribution. I don't know about you but this little number makes me desperate for spring.

Pattern Description:
Butterick 5332 – Jacket A


Pattern Sizing:
8-10-12-14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
As much as my jacket can look like a drawing…yes! My collar ended up a bit wider, but it’s because I didn’t pull the top part of the jacket over as much as they do in the picture (I thought the seams lined up better if I didn’t pull it as far over as they say to).


Were the instructions easy to follow?
I struggled with this jacket like I’ve never struggled with a pattern before. The seam-ripper was my best friend. I think what threw me is that multiple instructions combined into one step, which when read properly should be easy to figure out, but for some reason I kept skipping over steps…then realized that I had unfinished sections in odd places. Probably my fault, but it was HARDLY fast or easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I disliked that they called it fast & easy. There were lots of steps, and lots of curves that required meticulous sewing. Even though I’m more on the beginner side, I do think I’m a good sewer, and this was a really tough jacket.

Fabric Used:
Oh gosh…I can’t remember exactly what it is… It’s a thick cotton, almost like a light canvas. The pattern said lightweight denim could be used too, which I looked for but didn’t find a color/weight I particularly liked.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
The back of the jacked seemed unusually wide, so I took it in about ½ inch on each side to make it less “billowy”. It helped with the fit a lot. I stupidly used a heavy interfacing (rather than a light-weight interfacing) for the collar…but that has nothing to do with the pattern, just another sewing lesson for me.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and Yes! I really like this jacket! Very summery in nature. The style is wide and boxy, so be prepared that it won’t show off one’s shape, but is perfectly comfortable.

Conclusion:
This was such a frustrating jacket to finish after removing seam after seam…and sometimes removing the same seam twice. I almost just left it for the pile of unfinished sewing projects, but I loved the color I chose, and was hoping that in the end it would be worth all the stress, and it was. It’s comfortable and perfect for work or weekend. As soon as the weather is perfect for white capris…I’ll have this jacket on immediately.

Adorable, right? I admire Ann's tenacity in finishing what seems to have been a tricky garment. My track record for the last few months hasn't been so inspiring in that department... :)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails