2.24.2010

Guest Blogger Pattern Review: Kwik Sew 3529

Cue the trumpets and cymbal crash! We've got a pattern review on the blog for the first time in months! And, all thanks goes to our guest blogger Ann, who was kind enough to write up not one, but two pattern reviews while on the road to Jersey. This is friendship, people. So let's get to the goods. I'll post one today and one tomorrow.


Pattern Description:
· Kwik Sew 3529, empire waist jacket


(pattern image from kwiksew.com)

Pattern Sizing:
· XS-S-M-L-XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
· Yes, it looked very similar. The lapel on the one I made looked a bit larger than the one on the pattern picture, but overall the shape mimicked the picture very well.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
· Although I’ve been a beginner sewer for 15 years, I tend to take on difficult patterns. This pattern was much easier than expected (once I finally brushed up on the basics of pattern-reading…and reached out to Catherine on more than one occasion with “what does this mean again?” type questions).

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
With not too much to compare it to at this point in my less-than-expansive sewing career, the pattern was fine, nothing stands out one way or the other. With more patterns under my belt I’ll probably have a better perspective.

Fabric Used:
The pattern called for a non-stretch fabric, but I found a deep purple cotton with a bit of stretch in it that I really liked so I decided to try it. Because the jacket is so tailored, there is no need for a stretch fabric, but as I discovered it doesn’t affect the shape. A darker color (or thicker fabric) is necessary because there is no lining for this jacket (which surprised me, but made the construction easier for me).

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
The only think I altered was the position of the empire waist. Even in the picture on the pattern it looks almost too low for where the gathering is. The gathering ended up being 3 inches below my bust line, which was very strange positioning for such dramatic gathers that should be directly under the bust. I took the jacket apart and moved the empire waist seam up about an inch…which still wasn’t enough, but it looks better. I should mention that I am very short-waisted, so I thought this could be the problem, but this shouldn’t affect where the empire waist fits under the bust.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I’m not sure I’ll sew it again because the shape didn’t fit my body as well as I would have liked, and I wasn’t totally sure how to fix the problems. The top half was very wide, but the bottom was snug. The gathering in the back also ended up being really bulky…which probably affected the fit in the front. It’s a great looking jacket for work, so I’d suggest it, but with the caveat that the empire waist location should be measured before sewing (I don’t think the pattern had an area where you could shorten the waist…but it might have).

Conclusion:
Overall I was pleased with this jacket, mostly because it’s the first (finished) thing I’ve sewn in probably 8+ years, and it didn’t turn out to be as lopsided as I thought it might given my rusty skills. It’s a good shape for me, and I hope I do end up wearing it!

Doesn't it look great on her? It will be a perfect spring wardrobe item once that season finally arrives. Please leave a comment if you have any questions for Ann and I'm sure she'd be happy to answer them!

2 comments:

  1. Love the jacket! I wouldn't have looked at this pattern twice but now I want it. Umm, thanks;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails