5.03.2010

Baby Rompers, Indeed

I mean really, aside from Kate's emailed comments about snap tape being used for tear-away pants (genius and terrifying all at once!) what else would you put snap tape on aside from baby rompers? So ladies, bravo for zoning in on that pretty quickly!

Is that the surprise then? A bun in the oven? Yes! But here's what mine looks like:

Empty!

Then what was I doing making baby rompers? They were gifts for our friends in town for the reunion this past weekend. Since these friends, J&P, occassionally drop in on the blog I had to keep the project under wraps until they opened the package. J&P just learned about 10 days ago that the kid in the making is a boy, leaving yours truly with very little time to whip up some outfits.

The patterns of choice this time around were both from Simplicity, 4711 and 2459. And I'm really sorry, but this is the only picture I have of the finished products (courtesy of J&P). Things were hectic last week and I was literally sewing on buttons and closing up seams on the El ride down to brunch, where I planned to give these to the parents-to-be. So put on your thinking caps, y'all, and imagine the following:

- nice summer-weight cottons in gingham, classic white, and plaid (which, tragically, I didn't even have the time to align perfectly....sigh)

- overalls sized for 1-3 months, plaid romper sized for 9-12 months

- serged finish seam edges (j'adore)

- tiny baseball and bat buttons for J, who is a big Cubs fan, and little yellow ducks in a row

- snap tape for the legs. Having used both the cloth twill-tape style with metal snaps and a nylon tape with plastic snaps, I'd recommend the former.

All in all I'd say these were good patterns to work with. Both of them are patterns with a basic foundation and lots of little options. You're left digging through the instructions at various points and that was mildly annoying. Yet once I finished the gingham overalls the romper went together much the same.

I've made baby clothes before and if you haven't gotten a strong indication of how much I love having a serger, I'll yell it from the rooftops.

It's marvelous!

When I whipped up some corduroy overalls years ago I wanted finished seams. Really my only option was french seams and any of you experienced sewists out there can probably imagine how thick they felt. Baby clothes, being a small as they are, don't leave a lot of room for bulky seams and the like. And when you're likely going to launder them a bazillion times it's swell to know that the seams won't unravel in the wash. I don't have munchkins of my own but I made a modest teenage living by babysitting (and simultaneously folding rompers) so to me, ensuring durability was key.

Anyway, we've got a handful of other friends who are preggers so I plan to make some of these again in the future. I promise to take more pictures the second (and third and fourth...) time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails